Questions You Should Ask Your Plastic Surgeon
In addition to researching the educational and professional background of a plastic surgeon, you should ask several questions during the initial consultation before committing to any cosmetic procedure, surgical or non-surgical. Having a comprehensive picture of the surgeon’s strengths, personality, and motivations can help to ensure you receive the best possible results and have a fulfilling experience.
The consultation should be an opportunity to establish a comfortable exchange, and dialogue should be shared fairly equally between you and your surgeon. If you notice the doctor tends to have an agenda, leads you toward a different treatment or aesthetic result than you desire, or attempts to upsell you on additional procedures you don’t want, you may wish to reconsider selecting this practitioner. In my experience, trust, comfort, and compassion are essential qualities in an effective doctor-patient relationship. In addition to these factors, some questions you should voice include:
- What can I expect during the recovery process?
- What are reasonable expectations for results?
- How long will the results last? Will I need another procedure in the future?
- What cannot be accomplished with this procedure?
- What resources do you have (technology, hospital affiliations, etc.)?
- Is the facility where the treatment takes place accredited?
- Can I see before-and-after photos of patients who have had this procedure?
- How is the treatment customized to my needs?
Understanding and prioritizing the patient’s aesthetic goals while employing the safest methods possible should be the main objectives for any qualified plastic surgeon.
– Dr. Neal Goldberg
For more information about choosing a qualified plastic surgeon, or if you wish to schedule a consultation with Dr. Goldberg, please contact us today.